What Works: Promoting Pathways to Decent Work
This report builds upon the finding of a previous research project and specifically from the conclusion that, while active labour market policies (ALMPs) are indeed able to improve workers’ labour market prospects, the success of such interventions hinges on their accessibility. In several cases, a critical missing piece seemed to be adequate income support, which appeared to be a prerequisite for workers in the region to participate fully in activation programmes. The report first provides a conceptual framework for the analysis of the effects that such policy combinations have on individual and aggregate labour market outcomes. An innovative country mapping of integrated approaches is then presented, together with the findings from a literature review and a global macroeconomic study. The analysis is complemented with evidence from impact evaluations of two programmes in Mauritius and Uruguay that have combined income support and active support in different and innovative ways. The results of the report indicate that once certain design and implementation features are taken into accounts, approaches exploiting the complementarity between ALMPs and income support are effective in improving the labour market perspectives of vulnerable workers while protecting them throughout working-life transitions.
|Year of publication||Oct, 2019|
|Publisher||International Labour Organization (ILO), Geneva|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Working Better with Age, Ageing and Employment Policies, 2019. OECD.
- Taking EU labour law beyond the employment contract: The role played by the European Court of Justice, 2019. E. Menegatti.
- Social and spatial networks in labour markets, 2019. G. Topa.
- How Labor Market Inequality Transforms Mass Politics, 2019. S. Häusermann, A. Kemmerling, D. Rueda.
- Labour market segmentation: Piloting new empirical and policy analyses, 2019. I. Cruz, O. Molina, J.M. Verd, E. Palauskaite, R. Dumčius, M. Venckutė, V. Patrini, C. Vacas‑Soriano.
- Diversiteit arbeidsrelaties en arbeidsomstandigheden, 2019. SER.
- WABlief? 2019. M. Beukhof, J. Marijnissen, R. Rietveld, V. Scuric.
- Lagere productiviteit door groei zelfstandigen, 2019. H. de Bondt.
- Werknemers in een nieuwe baan en hun arbeidsmarktpositie een jaar later, 2019. G. Gringhuis, J. de Vries.
- Jaarboek Tijdschrift voor Sociale Vraagstukken: Nieuwe zekerheden in onzekere tijden, 2019. F. Dekker, M. Ham, J. van der Meer (Red.).