In-work poverty in Europe: a study of national policies
This book is a new Synthesis Report produced by the European Social Policy Network (ESPN), putting forward several recommendations and calls for more effective policy action at European and national levels to tackle in-work poverty. Getting people into quality jobs is key to achieving the EU's ambition of fostering upward convergence in living standards across all Member States. Preventing in-work poverty is seen by policymakers and stakeholders alike as part of the overall goal to reduce poverty in the EU.
However, while working is generally considered as the best way to avoid poverty, this is not the case for a significant number of European workers. In 2017, 9.4% of all EU-28 workers lived in households that are at risk of poverty, i.e. an alarming 20.5 million persons. In certain categories of the population (mostly young, low educated, non-standard workers, poor households with children including lone parents, workers and households with low work intensity) in-work poverty is significantly higher and has in some cases been increasing significantly in recent years.
|Author(s)||R. Peña-Casas, D. Ghailani, S. Spasova, B. Vanhercke|
|Year of publication||May, 2019|
|Publisher||European Commission, Brussels|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Annual review of working life 2018, 2019. C. Aumayr-Pintar, C. Cerf, B. Surdykowska.
- Active Labor Market Programs for Youth: A Framework to Guide Youth Employment Interventions, 2019. W. Cunningham, M.L. Sanchez-Puerta, A. Wuermli.
- Individual Learning Accounts: Panacea or Pandora's Box? 2019. OECD.
- Still Seeking Coordination? Assessing German Employers’ Interests in the Digitalized Social Market Economy, 2019. J. Weckwerth, T. Weishaupt.
- Good intentions meet harsh realities: Social dialogue and precarious work in industrial cleaning, 2019. T.P. Larsen, M. Mailand, T. Schulten.
- De waarde van werk staat in Nederland onder druk, 2019. W.M. Been, P.T. de Beer.
- De ontslagbescherming van onderwijzend personeel, 2019. E. van Vliet.
- Zeggenschap over arbeid en technologie, 2019. F. Pot.
- Vaker aan het werk met een no-riskpolis? Evaluatie experiment vervroegde toekenning no-riskpolis, 2019. UWV.
- Publieke belangen en de regulering van digitale platformen, 2018. P. de Bijl, N. van Gorp.