Setting the record straight: How record employment has changed the UK
On the eve of the global financial crisis, the UK’s employment rate was 73.0 per cent. A decade on and the employment rate is 75.7 per cent, by a distance the highest since comparable records began in 1971. This report looks back at a decade of unprecedented growth in employment, and at the effect this has had on the UK labour market. We ask – who are the people, what are the places, and what are the types of jobs that account for this increase? In doing so we scrutinise some of the criticisms of the UK’s recent employment ‘boom’ – that all new jobs have gone to migrants; that all new jobs are in London; and that all the new jobs are low paying and insecure. We offer some positive findings. Employment growth has benefited natives as well as migrants, London’s outsize contribution is down to population growth, there has been employment rate catch up in urban areas across the country, and the last decade has been one of occupational upgrading.
|Author(s)||S. Clarke, N. Cominetti|
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Publisher||Resolution Foundation, London|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The pursuit of an employment relationship. Managing people in a flexible labor market, 2019. E. Federici.
- Labour Market Policy and Labour Law Reforms in Germany: Towards Inclusive Growth, 2019. G. Schmid.
- The classification of employment relationships in Belgium, 2019. M. Wouters.
- Upward convergence in employment and socioeconomic factors, 2019. M. Mascherini, M. Bisello, M. Samek Lodovici, N. Torchio, F. Pesce, A. Cristini, F. Origo, G. Bosio.
- Business Against Markets: Employer Resistance to Collective Bargaining Liberalization During the Eurozone Crisis, 2019. F. Bulfone, A. Afonso.
- Bridge workers in uitzendwerk, 2019. K. Veth, H.P.L.M. Korzilius, B.I.J.M. van der Heijden, A. de Lange.
- Staat van eerlijk werk 2019, 2019. Inspectie SZW.
- Evaluatie Wet aanpak schijnconstructies, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Een gelijk speelveld in de online platformeconomie? 2019. L.E. Felderhof, M.P.C. Rozenbroek.
- Jongeren met afstand tot de arbeidsmarkt in beeld, 2019. L. Swart, D. Visser.