Setting the record straight: How record employment has changed the UK
On the eve of the global financial crisis, the UK’s employment rate was 73.0 per cent. A decade on and the employment rate is 75.7 per cent, by a distance the highest since comparable records began in 1971. This report looks back at a decade of unprecedented growth in employment, and at the effect this has had on the UK labour market. We ask – who are the people, what are the places, and what are the types of jobs that account for this increase? In doing so we scrutinise some of the criticisms of the UK’s recent employment ‘boom’ – that all new jobs have gone to migrants; that all new jobs are in London; and that all the new jobs are low paying and insecure. We offer some positive findings. Employment growth has benefited natives as well as migrants, London’s outsize contribution is down to population growth, there has been employment rate catch up in urban areas across the country, and the last decade has been one of occupational upgrading.
|Author(s)||S. Clarke, N. Cominetti|
|Year of publication||Jan, 2019|
|Publisher||Resolution Foundation, London|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Collective bargaining in Europe: towards an endgame. Volume I, II, III and IV, 2019. T. Müller, K. Vandaele, J. Waddington (Eds.).
- Understanding Perceived Worker Insecurity in Europe, 2002–2016: Economic Freedom and Neoliberalism as Alternative Theories? 2019. J.C. Dixon.
- Riders on the Storm: Workplace Solidarity among Gig Economy Couriers in Italy and the UK, 2019. A. Tassinari, V. Maccarrone.
- Challenges and Contradictions in the ‘Normalising’ of Precarious Work, 2018. J. Rubery, D. Grimshaw, A. Keizer, M. Johnson.
- Persons outside the labour force: How inactive are they really? 2019. R. Gammarano.
- De bijzondere arbeidsovereenkomst van de handelsvertegenwoordiger, 2019. J.P.H. Zwemmer.
- Economische groei vraagt om meer dan zzp’ers, 2019. E. Stam, M. van der Veen, D. Smetsers.
- Legitimiteit en pensioenhervormingen, 2019. M. Olsthoorn.
- De overgang naar een Lean-management denk- en handelswijze, 2019. V. van Loenen, R. Schouteten, M. Visser, E. Vosselman.
- Hand in hand: op zoek naar de juiste balans tussen marktwerking en overheidsingrijpen in de gezondheidszorg, 2019. M. Varkevisser.