Labour Market Participation and Atypical Employment over the Life Cycle: A Cohort Analysis for Germany
We use data from the adult cohort of the National Education Panel Study to analyse the changes in the employment histories of cohorts born after World War II and the role of atypical employment in this context. Younger cohorts are characterised by acquiring more education, by entering into employment at a higher age, and by experiencing atypical employment more often. The latter is associated with much higher employment of women for younger cohorts. A sequence analysis of employment trajectories illustrates the opportunities and risks of atypical employment: The proportion of individuals whose entry into the labour market is almost exclusively characterised by atypical employment rises significantly across the cohorts. Moreover, a substantial part of the increase in atypical employment is due to the increased participation of women, with part-time jobs or mini-jobs playing an important role in re-entering the labour market after career breaks.
|Author(s)||R. Bachmann, R. Felder, M. Tamm|
|Year of publication||Dec, 2018|
|Publisher||Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit (IZA), Bonn|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 2 - 2019
- Workers without Borders: Posted Work and Precarity in the EU, 2018. I. Wagner.
- The rise of online labour markets: freelancing and gig working via internet platforms, 2018. V. Lehdonvirta.
- A multichannel typology of temporary employment careers in the Netherlands: Identifying traps and stepping stones in terms of employment and income security, 2019. L.M.S. Mattijssen, D. Pavlopoulos.
- Labour Market Participation and Atypical Employment over the Life Cycle: A Cohort Analysis for Germany, 2018. R. Bachmann, R. Felder, M. Tamm.
- Digital work in the transport sector: in search of the employer, 2018. A. Loffredo, M. Tufo.
- Arbeidsparticipatie, 2018. CBS.
- Monitor Arbeidsmarkt oktober 2018, 2018. Ministerie van SZW.
- Platformwerk ontwricht ons arbeidsbestel, 2018. G. Evers, F. Pot.
- Schulden & Werk Deelrapport I: Bijstandsgerechtigden met schulden, 2018. R. Oomkens, M. Linssen, C. Akkermans, P. Vroonhof, R. van Geuns, P. de Klaver, T. Geijsen, M. Tom.
- Wanneer moet passende arbeid worden geaccepteerd met het oog op art. 24 WW? 2018. S.E.M. Meijer.