Intergenerational mobility: A dream deferred?
This report reviews evidence on intergenerational mobility, which measures the extent to which children’s labour market outcomes are independent of the outcomes of their parents. The report first reviews evidence on descriptive questions, documenting that mobility levels vary considerably across countries, and even across areas within countries. Mobility appears to be substantially lower in low-income than in high-income countries, but even among countries of similar income levels large differences can be seen. Moreover, in countries or areas with larger income disparities, children’s outcomes tend to depend more strongly on parental outcomes. A key focus is on the underlying drivers of intergenerational mobility: what factors and policies contribute to higher mobility?
|Year of publication||Nov, 2018|
|Publisher||International Labour Organization (ILO), Geneva|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The influence of independent contractors on organizational effectiveness: A review, 2019. C. Flinchbaugh, M. Zare, C. Chadwick, P. Li, S. Essman.
- Trade union strategies against precarious work: Common trends and sectoral divergence in the EU, 2019. M.J. Keune, M. Pedaci.
- 2018 Annual Report on Intra-EU Labour Mobility, 2019. E. Fries-Tersch, T. Tugran, A. Markowska, M. Jones.
- Labour market regulations, changes in working life and the importance of apprenticeship training: A long-term and comparative view on youth transition from school to work, 2019. J. Olofsson, A. Panican.
- Work in Transition: Labour Market Life Expectancy and Years Spent in Precarious Employment in Spain 1986–2016, 2019. M. Lozano, E. Rentería.
- Meer flexwerkers krijgen vast contract. Instroom en doorstroom van flexwerkers in 2009-2019, 2019. UWV.
- Overstappen op de arbeidsmarkt. Een onderzoek naar Van Werk Naar Werk-beleid en -trajecten, 2019. I. Borghouts-van de Pas, M. Bosmans, J. Verschoor, T. Wilthagen.
- Schoolverlaters in crisistijd: Gevolgen voor leren en de vroege loopbaan, 2019. B. Belfi, J. Allen, P. van Eldert, A. de Grip, A. Künn-Nelen, T. Peeters, D. Poulissen.
- Werk en mantelzorg, 2019. A. de Boer, I. Plaisier, M. de Klerk.
- Arbobalans 2018, 2019. TNO, CBS, RIVM, NCB.