The concept of ‘worker’ in EU law: status quo and potential for change
In the changing world of work and the emergence of new forms of employment that are often in the grey zone between traditional employment and self-employment the question of the scope of protection of labour and employment law becomes again more urgent.
Although defining the concept of worker is thus of utmost (and growing) importance, it is not legally defined (yet) at EU level, but has been shaped by numerous decisions of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU, formerly European Court of Justice (ECJ)). This report analyses this jurisprudence and explores how and whether the underlying concept of worker is able to adapt to the changes in the world of work and still fit for purpose to protect those who are in need of protection. Based on this, the study develops a European concept of worker which would be adapted to the new forms of employment namely to the self-employed that are in need of protection to a similar extent as traditional employees.
|Author(s)||M. Risak, T. Dullinger|
|Year of publication||2018|
|Publisher||European Trade Union Institute (ETUI), Brussels|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The influence of independent contractors on organizational effectiveness: A review, 2019. C. Flinchbaugh, M. Zare, C. Chadwick, P. Li, S. Essman.
- Trade union strategies against precarious work: Common trends and sectoral divergence in the EU, 2019. M.J. Keune, M. Pedaci.
- 2018 Annual Report on Intra-EU Labour Mobility, 2019. E. Fries-Tersch, T. Tugran, A. Markowska, M. Jones.
- Labour market regulations, changes in working life and the importance of apprenticeship training: A long-term and comparative view on youth transition from school to work, 2019. J. Olofsson, A. Panican.
- Work in Transition: Labour Market Life Expectancy and Years Spent in Precarious Employment in Spain 1986–2016, 2019. M. Lozano, E. Rentería.
- Meer flexwerkers krijgen vast contract. Instroom en doorstroom van flexwerkers in 2009-2019, 2019. UWV.
- Overstappen op de arbeidsmarkt. Een onderzoek naar Van Werk Naar Werk-beleid en -trajecten, 2019. I. Borghouts-van de Pas, M. Bosmans, J. Verschoor, T. Wilthagen.
- Schoolverlaters in crisistijd: Gevolgen voor leren en de vroege loopbaan, 2019. B. Belfi, J. Allen, P. van Eldert, A. de Grip, A. Künn-Nelen, T. Peeters, D. Poulissen.
- Werk en mantelzorg, 2019. A. de Boer, I. Plaisier, M. de Klerk.
- Arbobalans 2018, 2019. TNO, CBS, RIVM, NCB.