Well-Being and Mental Health in the Gig Economy: Policy Perspectives on Precarity
A response is needed to the numerous issues spurred by the expansion of the gig economy, where flexible patterns of employment prevail in contrast to permanent jobs. This research suggests the need to consider the future of work not only from an economic or employment law perspective but from a mental health one too. What are the psychological implications of precarious work and how are factors such as financial instability, the feedback economy and personal relationships reflected in mental health outcomes or connected to the business relationships most musicians and other gig economy participants work under? The authors consider which policy measures may help or harm gig economy workers including the taxation of self-employed workers, a universal basic income, education around mental health issues and access to mental health support. This policy brief provides research evidence into the working conditions of the UK music industry.
|Author(s)||S.-A. Gross, G. Musgrave, L. Janciute|
|Year of publication||2018|
|Publisher||University of Westminster, London|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 41 - 2018
- Job Insecurity and Well-being in Rich Democracies, 2018. A.L. Kalleberg.
- Employment and working conditions of selected types of platform work, 2018. W.P. de Groen, Z.L. Kilhoffer, K. Lenaerts, I. Mandl.
- Well-Being and Mental Health in the Gig Economy: Policy Perspectives on Precarity, 2018. S.-A. Gross, G. Musgrave, L. Janciute.
- State Dependence and Labor Market Transitions in the European Union, 2018. R. Duhautois, C. Erhel, M. Guergoat-Larivière.
- The Oxford Hanbook of Job Loss and Job Search, 2018. U.T. Klehe, E.A.J. van Hooft.
- Als werk weinig opbrengt, 2018. C. Vrooman, E. Josten, S. Hoff, L. Putman, J.M. Wildeboer Schut.
- De no-riskpolis in kaart gebracht, 2018. UWV.
- Publieke belangen in de deel- en kluseconomie, 2018. K. Frenken, A. van Waes, M. Smink, R. van Est.
- Jaarrapport Wsw-statistiek 2017, 2018. E. Flapper, I. Harteveld, P. Fris.
- Beroepsziekten in Cijfers 2018, 2018. H. van der Molen, P. Kuijer, G. de Groene, J. Bakker, B. Sorgdrager, A. Lenderink, J. Maas, T. Brand.