Organizing on-demand: Representation, voice, and collective bargaining in the gig economy
‘Gig’ or platform-based work represents one of the most recent, highly-publicized labour market trends. Attributed to the increased demand for flexibility on the part of employers, better labour market efficiency and, in some cases the desire for greater flexibility on the part of workers, gig and platform-based work is one type of non-standard work facilitated through technology and digital markets, on-demand. Despite its relatively small size the gig economy has the potential to rapidly change the way work is organized and performed, to alter the content and quality of jobs, and to reshape industries. This paper examines challenges to freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining for workers in the gig economy, and explores the broad range of strategies that gig-economy workers are using to build collective agency, and to promote effective regulation of gig work.
|Author(s)||H. Johnston, C. Land-Kazlauskas|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Publisher||International Labour Organization (ILO), Geneva|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Collective bargaining in Europe: towards an endgame. Volume I, II, III and IV, 2019. T. Müller, K. Vandaele, J. Waddington (Eds.).
- Understanding Perceived Worker Insecurity in Europe, 2002–2016: Economic Freedom and Neoliberalism as Alternative Theories? 2019. J.C. Dixon.
- Riders on the Storm: Workplace Solidarity among Gig Economy Couriers in Italy and the UK, 2019. A. Tassinari, V. Maccarrone.
- Challenges and Contradictions in the ‘Normalising’ of Precarious Work, 2018. J. Rubery, D. Grimshaw, A. Keizer, M. Johnson.
- Persons outside the labour force: How inactive are they really? 2019. R. Gammarano.
- De bijzondere arbeidsovereenkomst van de handelsvertegenwoordiger, 2019. J.P.H. Zwemmer.
- Economische groei vraagt om meer dan zzp’ers, 2019. E. Stam, M. van der Veen, D. Smetsers.
- Legitimiteit en pensioenhervormingen, 2019. M. Olsthoorn.
- De overgang naar een Lean-management denk- en handelswijze, 2019. V. van Loenen, R. Schouteten, M. Visser, E. Vosselman.
- Hand in hand: op zoek naar de juiste balans tussen marktwerking en overheidsingrijpen in de gezondheidszorg, 2019. M. Varkevisser.