Organizing on-demand: Representation, voice, and collective bargaining in the gig economy
‘Gig’ or platform-based work represents one of the most recent, highly-publicized labour market trends. Attributed to the increased demand for flexibility on the part of employers, better labour market efficiency and, in some cases the desire for greater flexibility on the part of workers, gig and platform-based work is one type of non-standard work facilitated through technology and digital markets, on-demand. Despite its relatively small size the gig economy has the potential to rapidly change the way work is organized and performed, to alter the content and quality of jobs, and to reshape industries. This paper examines challenges to freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining for workers in the gig economy, and explores the broad range of strategies that gig-economy workers are using to build collective agency, and to promote effective regulation of gig work.
|Author(s)||H. Johnston, C. Land-Kazlauskas|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Publisher||International Labour Organization (ILO), Geneva|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- The influence of independent contractors on organizational effectiveness: A review, 2019. C. Flinchbaugh, M. Zare, C. Chadwick, P. Li, S. Essman.
- Trade union strategies against precarious work: Common trends and sectoral divergence in the EU, 2019. M.J. Keune, M. Pedaci.
- 2018 Annual Report on Intra-EU Labour Mobility, 2019. E. Fries-Tersch, T. Tugran, A. Markowska, M. Jones.
- Labour market regulations, changes in working life and the importance of apprenticeship training: A long-term and comparative view on youth transition from school to work, 2019. J. Olofsson, A. Panican.
- Work in Transition: Labour Market Life Expectancy and Years Spent in Precarious Employment in Spain 1986–2016, 2019. M. Lozano, E. Rentería.
- Meer flexwerkers krijgen vast contract. Instroom en doorstroom van flexwerkers in 2009-2019, 2019. UWV.
- Overstappen op de arbeidsmarkt. Een onderzoek naar Van Werk Naar Werk-beleid en -trajecten, 2019. I. Borghouts-van de Pas, M. Bosmans, J. Verschoor, T. Wilthagen.
- Schoolverlaters in crisistijd: Gevolgen voor leren en de vroege loopbaan, 2019. B. Belfi, J. Allen, P. van Eldert, A. de Grip, A. Künn-Nelen, T. Peeters, D. Poulissen.
- Werk en mantelzorg, 2019. A. de Boer, I. Plaisier, M. de Klerk.
- Arbobalans 2018, 2019. TNO, CBS, RIVM, NCB.