Relative deprivation of temporary agency workers in the public sector: The role of public service motivation and the possibility of standard employment
Although public service organisations have increasingly relied on nonstandard employees, little research has investigated their work experiences and job attitudes. This paper examines the mechanism by which temporary agency workers' experience of relative deprivation affects their organisational attachment toward their client firm in the public sector. Based on data collected from temporary help agencies working with an international airport in Korea, we found that the perceived likelihood of standard employment mediated the negative relationship of relative deprivation to organisational attachment. Moreover, the indirect relationship of relative deprivation with organisational attachment via perceived likelihood of standard employment was strong and significant among those with high public service motivation but was not significant for those with low public service motivation. We discuss the implications of this study in building a better understanding of relative deprivation and nonstandard work arrangements in the public sector.
|Author(s)||H.‐J. Jung, S.‐C. Noh, I. Kim|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Journal||Human Resource Management Journal|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Nieuwsbrief week 15 - 2018
- Digitalisation, hiring and personnel policy: evidence from a representative business survey, 2018. A. Warning, E. Weber.
- Worker Representation and Temporary Employment in Germany: The Deployment and Extent of Fixed-Term Contracts and Temporary Agency Work, 2018. J.T. Addison, P. Teixeira, P. Grunau, L. Bellmann.
- Behavioural study on the effects of an extension of access to social protection for people in all forms of employment, 2018. C. Codagnone, F. Lupiáñez-Villanueva, P. Tornese, G. Gaskell, G. Veltri, J. Vila, Y. Franco, S. Vitiello, A. Theben, P. Ortoleva, V. Cirillo, M. Fana.
- Relative deprivation of temporary agency workers in the public sector: The role of public service motivation and the possibility of standard employment, 2018. H.‐J. Jung, S.‐C. Noh, I. Kim.
- Employment patterns and family satisfaction in Europe: do welfare and labour market policies intervene? 2018. P. Böhnke, I. Valdés Cifuentes,.
- Factsheet uitzendwerk, 2017. UWV.
- Platformwerkers verdienen meer! 2018. E. Verhulp.
- Het voorstel ter herziening van de Detacheringsrichtlijn: een tussenstand, 2018. I.S.H. Janssen.
- Uber: online dienst of vervoersbedrijf? Europese grenzen aan regulering van online platforms, 2018. M.R. Botman.
- Kansen van technologie voor arbeidsparticipatie, 2018. UWV.