Relative deprivation of temporary agency workers in the public sector: The role of public service motivation and the possibility of standard employment
Although public service organisations have increasingly relied on nonstandard employees, little research has investigated their work experiences and job attitudes. This paper examines the mechanism by which temporary agency workers' experience of relative deprivation affects their organisational attachment toward their client firm in the public sector. Based on data collected from temporary help agencies working with an international airport in Korea, we found that the perceived likelihood of standard employment mediated the negative relationship of relative deprivation to organisational attachment. Moreover, the indirect relationship of relative deprivation with organisational attachment via perceived likelihood of standard employment was strong and significant among those with high public service motivation but was not significant for those with low public service motivation. We discuss the implications of this study in building a better understanding of relative deprivation and nonstandard work arrangements in the public sector.
|Author(s)||H.‐J. Jung, S.‐C. Noh, I. Kim|
|Year of publication||Mar, 2018|
|Journal||Human Resource Management Journal|
|Website / Document||Visit|
- Designing flexible work practices for job satisfaction: the relation between job characteristics and work disaggregation in different types of work arrangements, 2019. P. Neirotti, E. Raguseo, L. Gastaldi.
- Photographs of young generations on the Dutch labour market, 2019. S. Bekker, I.A. van Deurzen.
- In-work poverty in Europe: a study of national policies, 2019. R. Peña-Casas, D. Ghailani, S. Spasova, B. Vanhercke.
- Exploring the Ingredients of Success: Studying Trajectories of the Vulnerable Unemployed Who Have Entered Work or Education in Denmark, 2019. S. Danneris, D. Caswell.
- In the name of competitiveness: a discursive institutionalist analysis of the EU’s approach to labour market structural reform, 2007–2016, 2019. J. Miró.
- Monitor Arbeidsmarkt april 2019, 2019. Ministerie van SZW.
- Karakteristieken en tarieven zzp’ers – gevolgen voor de kwalificatievraag, 2019. G.C. Boot.
- Private arbeidsintegratie: evaluatie van het Philips Werkgelegenheidsplan, 2019. R. Peijen, T. Wilthagen, R. Muffels, R. Dekker.
- Arbeidsmarktprognose 2019-2020, 2019. UWV.
- Transitiefunctie in het arbeidsrecht en werkloosheidsrecht, 2019. G.R. Oldenhuis.