Who takes care of non-standard career paths? The role of labour market intermediaries
As flexible career paths become more common in European labour markets, how to combine the flexibility required by non-standard work with new patterns of security is the focus of political debate. Some European Union (EU) countries have launched radical labour market reforms, while in others such reforms remain limited. This paves the way for bottom-up solutions developed by private and non-profit labour market intermediaries in order to support the job transitions of non-standard workers. We map these initiatives through a multidimensional grid and explore the extent to which they contribute to renewed regulation of modern labour markets. We outline two ideal-typical approaches. The first extends internal labour markets to triangular employment relationships by considering workers as ‘quasi-employees’. The second involves more disruptive solutions by treating non-standard workers as ‘quasi-self-employed’.
|Author(s)||N. Lorquet, J.-F. Orianne, F. Pichault|
|Year of publication||Nov, 2017|
|Journal||European Journal of Industrial Relations|
|Website / Document||Visit|
Recently added publications
- Collective bargaining in Europe: towards an endgame. Volume I, II, III and IV, 2019. T. Müller, K. Vandaele, J. Waddington (Eds.).
- Understanding Perceived Worker Insecurity in Europe, 2002–2016: Economic Freedom and Neoliberalism as Alternative Theories? 2019. J.C. Dixon.
- Riders on the Storm: Workplace Solidarity among Gig Economy Couriers in Italy and the UK, 2019. A. Tassinari, V. Maccarrone.
- Challenges and Contradictions in the ‘Normalising’ of Precarious Work, 2018. J. Rubery, D. Grimshaw, A. Keizer, M. Johnson.
- Persons outside the labour force: How inactive are they really? 2019. R. Gammarano.
- De bijzondere arbeidsovereenkomst van de handelsvertegenwoordiger, 2019. J.P.H. Zwemmer.
- Economische groei vraagt om meer dan zzp’ers, 2019. E. Stam, M. van der Veen, D. Smetsers.
- Legitimiteit en pensioenhervormingen, 2019. M. Olsthoorn.
- De overgang naar een Lean-management denk- en handelswijze, 2019. V. van Loenen, R. Schouteten, M. Visser, E. Vosselman.
- Hand in hand: op zoek naar de juiste balans tussen marktwerking en overheidsingrijpen in de gezondheidszorg, 2019. M. Varkevisser.